Steinway action rails

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:09:23 -0600

Hi all,

If you try this repair using CA glue be sure to use a mold release compound
on the screws. They *might* break free...and then again they *might* not.
Also the screw head should be lower than it will be with the flange in
place. You don't really want a screw that can't be tightened up to hold the
flange securely now do you? *smile*

At 08:47 PM 6/1/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/1/99 2:24:19 PM Central Daylight Time, you write:
>
><< List
>
> I'd like to hear from technicians that have successfully replaced stripped
> Steinway action rails.  I found a few posts from several years ago in the
> archives and I am wondering if anyone has anything else to add.  What about
> quality repairs that fall short of rail replacement?
>
> David Severance
> Dept of Music and Theater Arts
> Washington State University
> Pullman, WA 99164 >>
>
>When I was in the practice of restoring pianos, I more or less expected
those
>kind of action rails to be stripped.  I found that epoxy thinned to a watery
>consistency with acetone worked very well to size and give some strength and
>resiliency to the old wood without changing any placement of the holes.
>
>The same might be accomplished today with water thin CA glue.  If you place
>each screw without the flange and lightly in the hole, let some of the thin
>glue wick down the screw and into the threads.  The screw will break free
>easily afterwards and you should have a firm feeling hole when you go to
>assemble.  If there is an occasional hole that is still too loose, all you
>need do is repeat the process until the glue has sufficiently sized the hole.
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, Wisconsin

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com