Ghost chasers w/ a twist

BDeTar@AOL.COM BDeTar@AOL.COM
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 02:25:10 EDT

Hello Dave

I also have my compliments of ghosts which assist me in tuning the bass.
They hold me in good stead!  Try this:

Lightly depress and hold (so as to lift the dampers off of these notes) a
major 3rd in the bass.  For example, F1 & M3rd above, A1.  While still
holding this M3rd open, sharply strike and release A3.  This will "ghost" the
coincidental partials in your M3rd.

As you know, if you were to actually play the M3rd, you would hear beats
emenating between the 5th partial of the lower note and the 4th partial of
the upper note.  By striking and releasing the "coincidental partial note",
you excite those partials on the M3rd you are holding open.  Listen for a
slow roll.  Assuming you have made the M3rd expanded, the faster the roll,
the wider the 3rd, and the wider the octave.

As an aside, would you like to have the bass sound richer and bigger than it
really is?  Try gradually expanding those octaves as you cross over into the
bass and then all the way down to the bottom by, ultimately, 1/2 to 3/4 bps.
It's an amazing effect!

I hope this all makes sense to you... it's much easier done than written!!

Brian De Tar,  RPT
Portland, OR
BDeTar@aol.com
			NO OBSTACLES... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES!