4 pedal upright, 'tremelo' pedal???

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 00:27:28 -0700

I tune one of these beasts, but five pedals!!!
only one I've ever seen.

The tremolo has a rail of very tiny wooden balls that
can is positioned to touch the strings--interesting.

There is a sostenuto, sustain, and muffler felt.

The orchestra pedal on the one I tune is like a a honky
tonk strip with an interesting twist. There are very thin
brass rings with a string of thick cloth woven through it.
The positioning allows the top of the ring to strike first, the
the cloth mutes, then the bottom of the ring strikes, then the rest
of the cloth partially mutes. Sounds somewhat like a double stop
harpsichord. When I saw it I expected honky tonk tone and was
quite surprised.

Next time I go back I'm going to bring a camera.

                                                      Dave Renaud
                                                       RPT
                                                       Canada