Conn piano info ?

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 02:22:26 -0500

I recently tuned a Conn piano, a 45 inch console, and was very favorably
impressed.  The sn c25,434 is dated by Pierce as 1990 and made by Kimball.
 This was quality above what I was used to in Kimball execpting the
Columbian Expositon Model  at the turn of the century.  The hammers
resembled Steinway with long cores.  The blow was 1 3/4 according to the
spec sheet posted on the inside of the piano. Really nice bass, a scale I
would copy if I had re rescale a 45 inch console.  Since the name Conn was
on it it made me think of Conn the horn maker and why their name would be
on a piano.  Did or does Walter have anything to do with this name?  I
would rate it with Everett, M&H, Kawai, and Sohmer large consoles. I would
like to hear this side by side with a Steinway console.   The long narrow
sharps looked and felt good. Perhaps this was when Kimball had Bosendorfer
and they made this piano there?

Ric