Wing

Philip Jamison mortier@netreach.net
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:54:43 -0400

The Wing pianos are interesting. They had a second set of hammers, I
think, which operated off the "regular" hammers. These were mounted on
springs to give a "mandolin" effect. They had other pedals labeled
"harp", etc. which combined this effect with the soft pedal. The extra
parts are often gone (must've gotten in the way). The Wing was sold only
by mail through an elaborate catalog from around 1892-the 1920s. I have
one which has beautiful, full-page lithos of the various models (all
uprights) and a special black "viewing tube". The idea was to give a
3-D-type effect. I can just see the family dreaming about their new
piano around the kerosene lamp. By the way, they're not bad pianos.

Philip Jamison
West Chester, PA