Wing

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 21:41:32 -0500

Philip Jamison wrote:

> The Wing pianos are interesting. They had a second set of hammers, I
> think, which operated off the "regular" hammers. These were mounted on
> springs to give a "mandolin" effect. They had other pedals labeled
> "harp", etc. which combined this effect with the soft pedal. The extra
> parts are often gone (must've gotten in the way). The Wing was sold only
> by mail through an elaborate catalog from around 1892-the 1920s. I have
> one which has beautiful, full-page lithos of the various models (all
> uprights) and a special black "viewing tube". The idea was to give a
> 3-D-type effect. I can just see the family dreaming about their new
> piano around the kerosene lamp. By the way, they're not bad pianos.

I came across one of these a number of years ago.  Unfortunately it was in
the hands of what I refer to as a "Piano Butcher"- a so-called "teknishun"
who didn't care about this unique instrument enough to pass it on to someone
who did.  Thus he left it outside in the wicked southeast summer rain.  By
the time I saw it there wasn't much to look at.  Based on past research I
new these to be unique and desirable instruments.  Armed with that knowledge
I quickly whipped out a screwdriver and salvaged the beautiful cast iron
decorative plate which the pedals extend through, (what are those things
called anyway?)  The plate has four slots for four pedals instead of the
typical three.  Perhaps someday I'll find an appropriate use for this
special piece of antique piano hardware.

Rob Goodale, RPT