Feelings ( slamming backchecks)

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 20:08:17 +0200

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
>    Specifically, the feeling of the hammer hitting the check, as it relates
> to shock waves in the action train.

>    Anybody investigated this avenue farther than my three cups of coffee?

I dont know about investigating, but I also like as soft a feel to the checking.
My method is to shape the tails so that its arc matches the arc of the hammer
travel. Then after regulating letoff and drop I make sure the checks are just at,
or barely above the bottom of the tail with the key fully depressed. This makes
regulating the back checks such that I am able to achieve 12 or so mm checking
distance (I like them closer then specs, makes for faster repetition) while still
checking in the nice soft fat part of the back check. Also makes it easy to keep
a uniform checking distance regardless of how hard the blow is.

Richard Brekne