Steinway Touchweight Problem.. Mike J.

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 15:42:59 -0400

I would call it (Steinway shape) more of an egg shape (the more pointed
end) when properly finished.
Don't expect this shape "out of the package".

Most of the heavy filing and weight comes off the lower shoulder.  We juice
the low shoulder with double strength hardener for easier filing, helps
bolster fff tone as well, and half strength on top.

If more weight needs to come off, then we hollow felt out from the side of
the hammer.
If adding weight we use 0.109" soft lead wire pressed and expanded in a
hole in the molding.

David Stanwood