Why?... What's Hornbeam?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 16:15:50

Hi Brian,
         Hornbeam, Specific gravity 1 vs .85 for Maple, SG is for freshly
cut logs.
A European tree that grows to a height of 25 meters and 1 meter in
diameter, the trunk is usually branchless up to 10 meters. The sapwood and
heartwood are indistinguishable from each other. The wood is grayish-white
to yellowish-white. It is noted for it's fine uniform texture of grain.
Machines to a very smooth finish.
Roger

At 05:27 PM 6/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Please forgive the ignorance here, but what is Hornbeam?  I know what maple
>is.  I have maple trees in my yard.  But I've never seen a Hornbeam tree?
>Is it just a nickname?  Is it a tropical wood?  Inquiring minds want to
>know...   :-)
>
>Brian Trout
>Quarryville, Pa.

Roger Jolly