Why?

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:39:54 -0700

Last year I repinned a Feurich grand that had a lot of action
noise and it turned out that the pin was loose in the yoke of
the flange.  Big difference in action noise and control for the
pianist.  A newer Mason & Hamlin had the same problem and
complaints about the control.  I noticed the tone seemed more
focused after the work but hadn't bent that knowledge to this
particular piano until your post and then it clicked.  By the
way I talked with the pianist this evening and he was ectatic.  I
will be checking the pinning as you say before I do any voicing
in the future.  Personally I would have thought that four swings
might be a bit tight but it only took a slight adjustment to the
rep spring screw to get that in line.  I will look into the jack
position and return but I also use your method and I especially
want the feel of the jack coming back under the knuckle felt
through the jack to be consistant from note to note.  The wink
can be very inconsistant and not reliable.  If that jack will
return under as drastic a situation as we are testing it will
certainly return under normal play.

I still have yet to try the steam voice but I do have just the
piano to try it on.  A Samick with impenetrable hammers.  I
literally can not get a single needle into the hammer more
than a millimeter.  They should use these in place of spent
uranium in ammunition.  Just as deadly but without the
radiation problems.  : }

David I.