Hornbeam

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 22:18:13 -0700

Yes, I've read all that as well.  Just one more example of the numbers alone
not telling the whole story.  Some years back I compared maple hammershanks to
hornbeam shanks directly, although the tests were not exhaustive.  On average,
the maple shanks had less bend to them.  I did not find that the hornbeam
shanks "transmitted energy" any better than did maple shanks -- if as well.
The repetition lever stop screw (sometimes incorrectly called the "hammer
drop" screw) became loose in the flange much more quickly in the hornbeam than
in the maple.  Hornbeam forks (where the centerpin goes through) was also more
susceptible to impact damage.  The maple shanks were simply "tougher."

There was a greater variation among the maple shanks, however.  In fact, I
suspected that some of the maple shanks I tested were actually made of soft
maple, not hard maple as specified.  The manufacturer of the maple shanks was
not generally noted for its careful quality control procedures.

Del