Why?

Sun, 06 Jun 1999 22:27:41 -0700

Roger,

I certainly agree with points 2, 3 and 4.  Unfortunately, I have not found
their pinning to be all that consistent.  I think it is probably the result of
the graphite used.  Since graphite is somewhat hygroscopic these centers seem
to be somewhat susceptible to variations in moisture.  We've also had more than
a few centers simply lock up tight after periods of hard play.  About point 5
-- I do not consider hornbeam to be a superior wood compared to reasonable
quality hard maple.  But it sure does machine pretty.

Del