Hornbeam

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 13:24:10 -0400

Hi Del,

> Thinning shanks to reduce mass does also reduce stiffness in the vertical
> plane.  It is generally considered to be an acceptable tradeoff considering the
> lighter mass of the hammers involved.
>
> > Would the payoff justify the expense of getting different wood?  One
> > uses the resources one has so european manufacturers use local woods,
> > just like we do.

Sorry, I should have said that differently like the difference between
vertical and horizontal stiffness.

> I just don't like being told something is better for me when the actual reason(s) are something altogether different.

Everyone lies, especially when they think they can get away with it.

> I actually watched an operator (knowingly) using a broken bit to drill

I have often thought a lazer drill could be used to drill a guide hole
for a reaming bit.  And if wishes were fishes...

> And you have to be sure the drill shaft bearings don't have half a mm run-out.

Well, my drill press run out is good, except the quill guides have too
much slop so the runout is greater than is should be.  Makes it
difficult to drill nice hammer holes.

There is entirely too much sloppy work going on.

Take care.

		Newton