Pounders... why?

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 13:07:32 -0500

Brian:

I agree with you that "pounding" might be an unfortunate term to use for a
test blow.  Beating the piano into submission isn't the name of the game.
I've heard tuners say that you tune sharp, and pound until it comes in tune.
Obviously if you tune that way, the player can pound it right out of tune.

I think pounders have gotten popular, particularly with guys my age who's
fingers and joints are less tolerant of even "appropriate test blows."
Actually, so far I have been able to get by just changing "test blow
fingers" as I go.  Thumb for a while, fingers 2 & 3 for a while etc.  I tend
to have more trouble with the hand wrapped around the tuning hammer all day
than the "pounding fingers."  I can see a day coming, however, when a
"finger saver" might feel really good.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
mailto:dporritt@swbell.net