Pounders... why?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:52:04 +0200

BDeTar@AOL.COM wrote:

> Which has more effect on maintaining tuning stability: Hammer technique;
> residual, controlled pin torque, or string rendering?  Further, what effect
> do you think "pounding" would have on this tuning?
>
> I'll spare you the details of what I did to encourage discussion!
>
> Brian De Tar, RPT
> Positively DeFined
> BDeTar@aol.com
>                                 NO OBSTACLES... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES!
> -
> -

I've known lots'a da pounders, and I've known lots'a dat dont'a. My judgement is
that pounding is an unneccesarry proceedure that lends itself quicker to
instability then it does to the opposite. As far as the "5" above.. pounding has
the least effect, hands down. But those who like this clobbering away at the piano
and dont mind breaking more strings, keys, hammershanks, etc etc, ad absurdum.. by
all means.. go for it.  <grin>

Richard Brekne