SHARP pianos

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 02:17:25 -0700

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> So now I am inclined, if I find a piano that has been regularly serviced
> wildly off pitch (assuming good structural integrity), not to take pains
> to do the pitch corrections, up then down, back and forth, etc.
> Obviously, tuning for a concert is a different story.
> By the way, am I correct that in general smaller pianos will change more
> drastically with humidity fluctuations than larger ones?

Why would smaller pianos change less?
I've been under the impression that the larger the soundboard area,
the more ease for it to flex, swell, contract, am I wrong about this?

I agree that normal seasonal variations need to be factored into pitch
especially in extremely contrasting seasonal climates.
Might even stretch that low tenor a half beat little wide towards
the end of a dry winter heating season  anticipating that the
end of the tenor bridge will push that section much sharper as soon
as spring rain comes.

The Ottawa valley can hover at highs of 90 to 100 degrees and 80%
humidity for a few weeks of summer, but can remain lower then
20 below for a few steady weeks in Jan-Feb.

                                                       Cheers
                                                        Dave Renaud