?extra concert maintance&string?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:19:41 -0700 (MST)

HI David:

A few of my thought are interspersed below.

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, David Renaud wrote:

> I meant to publish this to pianotech not PTG-1
> Apoligies to thoses that get it twice now.
>
> I have one concert hall been tuning for 8 years.
> They purchased a 7 foot Kawi, new 8 years ago.
> The building gets quite humid in the summer, and although
> a Damp-Chaser assists stability, the string has begun
> showing signs of corrosion. The piano's probably seen
> 400+ tunings. Last concert I broke a first string
> at the beket.
> This is the only concert hall I do....
> Questions?
>
> 1) Do concert instruments due to extreme frequency
> of tuning show weakness at friction points and/or
>  weak points more rapidly.

Concert instruments wear flat marks on the strings especially at the V-Bar.
Strings are very unlikely to break at the becket unless the becket is
short and begins pulling out. This is the only way I have seen a becket
come loose in over 55 years of tuning.

> 2) Should a "concert" instrument used in a hall/ recording,
> be in need of new strings every decade or so.
> I'm thinking that as the stings tarnish and become more
> brittle the purity of the tone generated is compromised.

Yes, the strings should be changed that often, especially the Capo Bar area.
Tarnish is not so much the problem as the wear.

> 3) I'm wondering, as the string shows sign of age, if I
> should be preparing the administration  to  budget
> for this in a couple years.

Yes!

> 4)  So far annual maintenance consists of an 8 hr day
> at the beginning of each season to regulate, voice, shape,
> lubricate, seat string.
>                                      Thanks
>
>                                       Dave Renaud
>                                       RPT
>                                       Canada

I always worry about those who seat strings too vigorously. If marks are
left on the string, it's too vigorous. If the bridge is further indented
it's too vigorous. This is not a judgment of you, but for the information
of the many others who read this list. I have often seen kinks in the
wire near the bridge pins. That is damage.

Very light shaping each year with good string fitting helps to preserve the
tonal clarity.

Jim Coleman, Sr.