CD Journal

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:11:03 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jim:

I read your comments about the CD project. I am not one to throw a wet
blanket on a good idea, however, when I consider that over the last 36
years, I have paid over $3600 in dues which includes the Journal and I
already have the Journals organized on a shelf, all I really need is a
good index for finding stuff. The new CD would provide this as well as
having all the stuff in one place - a slight convenience.

If I were starting out in this business, the CD would be of tremendous
help in learning all the good stuff. It is our dues over the years which
has made all this possible. As you know, I have not been stingy in giving
out information, however, this CD project would be like almost giving it
away for free to the freeloaders. I can remember when I of necessity was
a freeloader. In 1953 my conscience began to bother me about that, so
eventually, 4 or 5 years later I joined PTG. I do not have a lot of
confidence in the conscience of the new generation. They seem to want it
all and right now as though it were owed to them.

If this project goes through, I believe we should not have updates every
year (else, why subscribe to the Journal?), but perhaps every 5 years.
Although the cost of the media (the CD) is small, the job of collating
the material and making a new index each time would be the major cost.

May I suggest that if the Council votes to fund this project, that we have
a pre-sale of the CD before production begins. This will prove how much
real interest there is among the members. Of course the newbies will jump
at such a deal, but of course this will be limited to those who have
computers.

I just noticed yesterday that my son has CDs for sale which include special
items from the Journal. I'm wondering how the sale of those is going. This
might give us some idea as to how to proceed with this new project. I'll
ask him about that project.

Jim Coleman, Sr.