More on the CD

SprBil@AOL.COM SprBil@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:44:02 EDT

To respond to David,

>>The CD sounds great!  Question:  I input a word for search,
such as hammers.  Up comes all possible articles about
hammers which I can choose from?  Are the articles going to
have decent pictures or the black/whatever ones we are use to
in what's available with from the Home Office now?  <<

The CD can be full text & Boolean searchable.  You can ask for "Hammers" NOT
"upright" for example.  The picture quality should be just like what you see
printed in the Journal. No, it won't be the poor quality you have seen in the
printed version of the reprint kits.

responding to Jim Bryant...

>> We currently have a CD-ROM containing all the technical thingees in the
"Journal Reprints" in the various single subject items covereing such things
as vertical regulation, hammerhanging, tuning, grand regulation, dampers,
etc., etc.....
The cost on this CD-ROM is also $100......despite all of the equally stated
enthusiasm for a CD-ROM of this type to be produced and made
available.....'far less' than 100 have been sold.......................Since
the production costs of this particular CD-ROM exceeded $40,000 (I think I am
correct) I can't justify in my mind a similar venture where the costs will be
even higher....at least I haven't been able to yet, and I have seen no
convincing discussion to alter my point of view.<<

The cost of the "reprint CD" was about $15,000. This also was to have come
out about 3 years ago, but we hit a major snag when a few authors did not
want their material published.  Eventually, the HO was able to get this
permission, and produce the "Reprint" CD, albeit 2 years later.

The "20 year Journal on CD project", is quite different.  For one,  it will
be updated, so that members can keep an up to date digital file of the
Journal. As mentioned above, it will be Boolean search capable.  Updates can
be made available for download.  Once the estimated "break even" point of 500
copies has been reached,  the project will have been paid for and as a Guild
we will have this resource available to use as we see fit.

Bill Springer,
ECC Chair