?extra concert maintance&string?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:50:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/1999 1:46:35 PM, Dr. C. wrote:

<<"I always worry about those who seat strings too vigorously. If marks are
left on the string, it's too vigorous. If the bridge is further indented
it's too vigorous. This is not a judgment of you, but for the information
of the many others who read this list. I have often seen kinks in the
wire near the bridge pins. That is damage.
  Very light shaping each year with good string fitting helps to preserve the
tonal clarity.">>

 Yep, I agree absodarnlutely :-)

  On the "how often to restring" thingee. I just completed, Weds., with
another tech, restringing a Hambrug 'D', 12 years old.  The main problem was
string breakage becoming much more frequent and not tonal quality. We
discussed options with the Symphony and they decided to go ahead and restring
the entire thing.
  Now there was 'nothing' wrong with this pianos tonal quality...there are
two 'D's in the venue and this one is chosen most often by visiting artists.
The tone, of the old strings, was clear and clean as well as having a deep,
rich, bass all in all a very good example of what S&S 'D's can be.
   Yet when we tuned the piano after string replacement the tone was 'much'
clearer and 'much' cleaner........and the bass? to die for :-)  What did we
change.......nothing but the strings and tuning pins....used strings from
David Sanderson on the bass.......very, very, nice I must say.........
  My point?  That putting on new strings, without all attendant flat
spots/kinks very definitely improves the tone of a piano that is used/tuned
on a very frequent basis.......I would say that 8-10 years on one set of
strings in a demanding venue would be kinda appropiate.  Besides it gives you
an opportunity to clean the soundboard, check "all" the bridge pins, inspect
the v-bar and do those things which you feel needful without a bunch of wire
in the way :-)
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)