?extra concert maintance&string?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:24:21 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/1999 4:14:28 PM, Richard wrote:

<<"I am curious Jim, did you do any maintainance to the de-Capo bar and / or
agraffes as part of the restringing ?">>

 Richard;
  As I was/am thouroughly familiar with this particular piano I knew that
there were no significant problems with the agrafffes, so no, I did not do
anything special except give them a more than 'cursory' examination and clean
them (holes) with a brass brush. (very little wear at all and no elongation
of the holes was evident and as such was/is reflected by the ease of tuning
and the clean clear tone from each individual string, bass and tenor)  Also,
time was a factor in starting and completing the job as we had essentially 24
working hours to do it in. If it had been in my shop instead of on the
stage?? I don't know that I would have done it differently given the piano
and familiarity....but one never know do one? :-)

<<"Also I had a guy once tell me that it was a good idea to re-pin the bridge
from
time to time. His point was that bridge pins also develop flat spots and
knicks
that influence tone and clarity. Anyone out there heard about this ?">>

  I am kinda of the school of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" train of
thought. And although there were several "problem" notes, notably a 'D' in
the tenor and a 'C', in the top tenor, which both proved to be loose pins in
the 'back' of the bridge, there were no discernable problems, flat spots on
pins, cracks, etc. on either bridge.

(side bar note: while inspecting pins I noticed there is a "step" down on the
tenor bridge back where the wire changes from #20 to #21, the "step down" is
aprox. the same depth as normal bridge cap. I have strung many 'D's and I
swear I don't recall ever seeing this "step down" before...is this a
feature/characteristic of Hamburg 'D's or am I just missing
something........like memory? :)

 As for the capos, again I did nothing except clean up some burrs, these
probably happened during broken string replacement., other than that nothing
but running some carbide paper over them to clean them up. Both capo sections
were in excellent shape, very little in the way of grooves........if I didn't
know better I would say that Hamburg uses a harder pig iron for their plates
than New York :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)