?extra concert maintance&string?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:17:36 EDT

<<"There will be a pear shaped
"scrub" track on them where the string rode. Decide for yourself if that's a
good enough string termination for you and replace them, or not, as you
chose. With all the mileage given to perfecting the agraffe hole and v-bar
shape, it seems to me that techs should be mildly concerned about the
condition of the bridge pins too. ">>

Ron;
 Good point. That brings up a question as to where you will find the most
bridge pin grooving.............on a piano that gets tuned every three years
whether it needs it or not, including all the subsequent pitch raises,
etc....... or on a piano that stays at the same pitch and being tuned 6/8
times a month or more? I suppose the same question holds for agraffes and
capos also.

 I don't know the answer because I suppose it would depend on what causes the
'grooves', of whatever shape, string rendering or string vibrations? maybe a
little of each? Thoughts?
Jim Bryant (FL)