?extra concert maintance&string?

Mike Imbler MIKE-IMBLER@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:05:49 -0500

From: Ron Nossaman <nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET>
> My call is that the agraffe and v-bar damage (averaging iron hardness) is
> related mostly to the intensity, both in hours and enthusiasm, of play,
> whereas the bridge pin damage is related to both the intensity of play,
and
> the number and severity of humidity cycles the piano has been through
since
> the pins were new. I don't see the frequency (no pun, that's the other
> thread) or the total number of tunings having a lot to do with either
> problem. I think the total height of the bridge pin groove is related to
the
> number and severity of humidity swings as the shrinking/swelling bridge
> carries the string up/down the pin as the bridge top cumulatively crushes
> under the string. The scrub tracks in the front bridge pins are deeper
than
> those in the back ones (check it out), so I would blame the depth on the
> intensity of play.
Ron, it does seem like you have isolated the effect of playing by noting the
difference between the front and rear bridge pins.  I'm not clear, though,
why you are discarding the effect of rendering due to tuning.  It would seem
that some performance pianos are tuned more frequently than there are
humidity swings.  Are you perhaps noticing a shape in the groove that would
indicate vertical movement rather than the horizontal shape rendering would
produce?

                                                       Regards,  Mike