What's a greenhorn to do? Re: CD project

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:25:46 -0400

Hi List,

I've read with interest the discussions of the CD project, which brought =
up deeper issues.

I took the plunge a few months back.  I became a member.  (Thanks to the =
friendship and care of my local chapter members.  They're great people =
that I'm proud to be associated with.)  I'm still an associate, but it =
won't be long till I'll put those three little letters behind my name =
(RPT).  I feel good about the organization.

But now the subject has been brought up about "giving away the farm" so =
to speak.  What would you have a new 'convert' do?  Some have had the =
privilege of attending trade schools of one type or another.  But then =
what?  Should it be a requirement that they 'flounder about the =
business' for a few years, just to see if they can tough it out? Pay =
their 'dues', so to speak?  I was lucky to have worked at a dealer for a =
total of about 5 years.  That would take a lot of classes to replace the =
experience.  Some are able to attend conventions, state and national.  =
Unfortunately, I am not able to attend K.C. this year, but in the =
future, conventions, seminars, classes, etc.  will be a very high =
priority.  This would certainly shorten a newbie's learning curve, but =
usually, anything of substance here is a couple of times a year. =20

To you seasoned techs who have been around for a while,  just what would =
you have us 'newbies' do to learn and gain knowledge of our craft?  It =
sounds to me like the CD project would certainly be a worthwhile project =
for those who are hungry for knowledge.

Perhaps the availability of the CD, if it is produced, should be for =
members only.(?)  That could complicate areas where the Guild is not as =
widespread. (I'm thinking internationally.)  It wouldn't be unheard of =
to sell only to the 'trade'.  Anybody ever try to get an APSCO catalog =
without some sort of evidence that you're a piano tech? or dealer? or =
tradesman?

It all boils down to the question, for us who are new here and want to =
learn,... What would you have us to do?

(If I were able to put a bug into someone's ear about the whole =
situation,  what I think would be  truly wonderful is an apprenticeship =
program.  There's nothing like working beside a true craftsman day after =
day, learning, doing, and absorbing.  But that's another subject for =
another thread.)

I wish I could convey my 'tone of voice' here, because I'm asking, not =
to be sarcastic or indignant, but rather in sincerity, and a desire to =
learn how I may become a better person.  I truly hope that if you've =
read this far, you'll take it that way.=20

Thanks.  I look forward to your comments.

Have a great day.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.