CD ROM Project Rant

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 19:48:10 +0200

And for my devalued SA 5cents worth; I am a pianotech list subscriber but
not a PTG member by virtue of not being in the USA and not likely to get
over there for at least another year (for my reasons I wont get into) and
for me US$100 at current conversion rate plus bank charges and commision
fees and any import tax will be a lot, and if more for non-members then so
be it - BUT, I have aquired a couple of journals (thanks to Ed T) and if
they are representative of all journals and infomation contained within
then I am willing to pay my Rands to buy the CD in dollars, at whatever
price.

Brian Lawson

----------
> From: Richard O. Snelson <rsnelson@dave-world.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: CD ROM Project Rant
> Date: 11 June 1999 06:59
>
> As one of the newbe's on the street, I felt a good library and PTG
membership was
> one of the most valuable assets I could have. I now have a "nearly"
complete set of
> the journals and a large collections of books. I've spent well over
$1,000 for the
> books and journals and use them daily in my new piano business. I'm
missing a few
> journals and hope to get some help filling those back years. (I'll send a
list of
> the missing.) I do have some doubles and would gladly help others out by
trading.

> In the last 6 months I've been to the PA. and Salt Lake conventions,
spend several
> day with the great Jim Coleman in Tempe and will be in KC and then on to
Minn with
> Randy Potter for a week. I've completely remodeled a 1200 sq foot metal
building to
> have a show room and piano repair shop. I've filled it with 7 pianos that
I have
> purchase so I can learn on my turf.  Now its read it, do it..read it
again to be
> sure and continue..
>
> I'm lucky because I'm doing this while still working full time as an
electrical
> engineer. This paid the startup cost. My wife is a little sore because
I've used up
> [...]
to learn
> this business the correct way. I pushed to join PTG as quickly as a
chapter would
> let me. They were very cautious about new members?  For me the most
valuable tool in
> my new business world is PTG and its members.. Thanks to those that are
helping..
> Jim Coleman,  John Baird, John Dewey and others.
>
> I do have a full set of the reprint books that I would sell at a bargin
price. Since
> I now have the journals I won't need the books.
>
> Richard Oliver Snelson
> Associate Member PTG
> Oliver Piano Services
> Clinton, IL
>
> Richard Brekne wrote:
>
> > Well,.. lets see.. what do we have here..
> >
> > Several fingers have been raised about selling out years of experience
too
> > cheaply. Points have been made about enabling any hobby-ist to compete,
or do it
> > himself. And points have been made about newbies not paying their
"dues" (and I
> > am refering to more then just the annual PTG membership dues).
> >
> > Seems to me that the first point is the most valid. One definately does
not want
> > to give this away to cheaply. If 100 bucks is too cheap well ok make it
more.
> > Its certainly worth more.
> >
> > As far as the hobby-ist is concerned. I say bring em on. I have cleaned
up
> > through years on these types of guys. There are usually two types. The
guy who
> > tries it once and blows it big time, then gets tired and does it
himself on
> > something else, like his VW or something. The other guy is the one who
figures
> > he can make a few fast bucks by reading a book, buying a machine and
calling
> > himself a pro.
> >
> > Now I am the first to get angry at some half bit fraud who goes around
stealing
> > peoples money by panning himself off as a piano tech and in the process
wrecking
> > peoples pianos. But this is a problem that cannot ever really solved.
> > Fortunatly, these guys are eating at the bottom (of the latrine) end of
the
> > market, and even then eventually dissapear often as not. In any case I
cant see
> > them as any threat to me. Good buisness sense, hard work, reasonable
marketing
> > and I am assured of a nice fat living. The only competition I "fear" is
the kind
> > that does me the most good. Another professional, who strives to do the
best
> > he/she can. I gots to keep on my toes to meet that kind of "threat".
And
> > besides, customers who use these guys are most often (tho not always)
the kind
> > of customers I prefer to do without.
> >
> > As far as newbies paying their dues is concerned. They will in time,
they most
> > certainly will. And hopefully when they reach the age of 40 years or
more
> > experience they will be just as willing to help the new generation
learn the
> > ropes as the present one is. You guys who have created the PTG, helped
it grow,
> > and kept it going have something to be very proud of. And from one who
has
> > stayed on the sidelines all to long (for reasons I will not get into) I
tip my
> > hat off to you. If I could re-do the past 25 years in this regard I
would, but
> > past is past. The point is you all have something to be very proud of.
Your