The Missing Sock

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:39:15 -0500

Thought for the day:

Have you ever put exactly ten pairs of socks into a clothes
drier but pulled out only 19 when they were dry?  One of
those unexplained mysteries in life that has no answer.

I was talking with a client who was wondering why grand
pianos sometimes develop wear marks on the fall board above
the keys.  Admittedly I had no definitive answer.  I'm sure
you have all notice this, particularly above the sharps.
Sometimes the wear can be so bad that it can extends well
into the wood.  But then you have to stop and wonder how
they got there.  For technical reasons you do not play the
piano that close to the fall board.  In observing a pianist
playing I have never seen any kind of technique that would
suggest a reason- even in aggressive playing.  Certainly
there are other case parts on a piano that receive rougher
treatment.  Nevertheless somehow these wear marks appear
very defined and consistent.  So here then is the riddle:
How do these marks get there?  Is there a particular type of
maneuver required by the pianist?  Is it avoidable? Can you
find the missing sock?

Rob Goodale, RPT