boring hammers & new strings

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 06:14:31 EDT

>	I have measured the keybed to the string height and keybed to the
>hammer flange center pin to get the boring distance for some grand hammers.

 Greetings,
    Is the string parallel with the keybed?  I don't think that the linear
difference between centerpin and string height tells the whole story.
    Scribe a straight line on the hammer's side, mount it on a shank at 90
degrees, and then measure (with a small square) what the angle is between
string and hammer when the action is in place?  It is not uncommon for the
strings to rise rather steeply upward toward the bridge in the last octave or
so.  Either hanging angle or bore distance(or both) must be compromised to
have the hammer and string perpendicular upon impact.
     A caution though, overshortening the bore distance in an attempt to
square the hammer to string can make regulation a distant dream,  and it is
essential that things like let-off and drop are still within reach with the
adjustments available.

Regards,
Ed Foote