Fine points of drilling bridges

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 13:48:48 -0500

Brian,

Alan Vincent and David Hughes will be covering this topic in the Rebuilding
Skills Workshop at the PTG annual Institute in Kansas City. This is a hands
on session and you will get the opportunity to practice in front of an
expert who can give you helpful tips. Register now to reserve a spot.Hope
you can make it.

Dale
Dale Probst
Assistant Institute Director
PTG Annual Convention
Kansas City--July 21-25,1999
wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
http://www.ptg.org/1999/conv/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Brian Trout
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 1999 8:29 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Fine points of drilling bridges

Hi all,

For those of you who make bridges, I'd like to hear what kind of drill bits
you're using to drill the bridge pin holes, and the technique you use.

Here's what I've been doing.  I've been laying out the pattern on the fresh
cap, marking it fist with a pencil mark, and then with a very sharp awl (not
deep, just a mark I can see, perhaps 1/32" deep), and proceeding to drill
with the standard drill bit from Apsco, by hand.

I don't have much trouble keeping the angles right, but from time to time, I
seem to have a bit of trouble with the bit 'wandering' off the mark.  The
people around me usually say "Wow, they're great."  But they're not
_perfect_, which is really what I'm shooting for.  I've seen perfect, but
with that drill bit wandering, it's a pretty tough thing to achieve.

What can I do to keep the wandering bit to a minimum?  Do I need a bradpoint
bit?  Do I need a pilot hole to guide the bit?  Are there special bits that
would do a much better job than the standard Apsco bit?  Is there a
technique that has eluded me?

It's just a little thing, and for the most part, if I just went on making
them like I do, people would likely still think they're great.  But my own
drive and desire to do the best work possible haunts me.  (I want 'em
_Perfect_!)

Any advice?

Best wishes to all,

Brian Trout