CD ROM Pricing

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:16:42 -0400

List,
  I appreciate the responses to my rather opinionated post on the proposed
CD pricing. I know that it is more appropriate to ptg-l, but wanted to
reach those I regularly read and respect on this more high-volume list. I'm
sure that my take on the Guild is based on my own experiences joining where
and when I did. I live in a fairly rural area, so I know that market share
of conscientious piano owners can be an important economic issue.
  I have not suggested in any way that information should be withheld from
those who want it or can use it. I feel strongly, though, that the Guild is
the avenue by which great things happen. The monthly chapter meetings and
the conventions are a wealth of education, support and comraderie. These
things cost members time and money. We are part of an existing tradition of
sharing and giving, learning and teaching as we are able, at whatever level
we find ourselves. This is truly beautiful. We invest ourselves, we become
part of a supportive structure where we give and receive as needed, and the
cycle continues from generation to generation. One need only look at the
storehouse of knowledge produced and available because of this system. To
someone who only wants to receive the fruits of this organization, I say
fine, give us lots of money so we can continue to do what we do best. Or
join and put yourself in a position to be included. We'll all be better for
the latter, but it's your choice.
  I only have to think how I would react to an Associate or RPT in my
chapter who requested advice or assistance from me. I'd make the time and
do it gladly. I myself started learning through self study and attending
every Guild function I could (I still do), and the help I have received I
can only hope to pay back as I grow in this profession. To be honest, if I
received the same request for advice or assistance from a non-Guild member,
I would be much less free with my goodwill, and my best piece of advice
would be to look into what it would take to join.  If you go to a weekly
pot-luck dinner, and someone regularly shows up bringing nothing, I think
it's human nature to subconsciously check how high their plate is piled
with food, and eventually ask if they would stay and do the dishes :-)
  Out of the responses, two were highly motivated new members. Great! (It's
usually not more than half a dozen times a week I feel like a novice
myself.) One was an international non-member who knows the value of the CD
and would be willing to pay whatever price. Great again! And the well
established professionals know that the CD sales to anyone at any price
will not affect their businesses whatsoever, and will only increase the
general knowledge of pianos everywhere. Point well taken. Someone mentioned
that there are some people who just don't want to pay dues money. I'm
suggesting that we charge them dues money. They might find it worth their
while to do what it takes to join the Guild, thereby opening up the avenue
to communication, and that improves all our abilities. Either way, we win.
  As for other suggestions on the CD, I like the presubscription idea
(small discount to order now, when economic viability is ascertained,
production starts, though I'd like to see it asap). And I think $100 is
rather cheap, for members; a crime of charging too little, for non-members.

With respect,
Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA

'Nothing is ever truly lost until it is not shared' Yes(thanks, Brian)
And there must be some kind of corollary-
'Nothing is truly cherished if it is obtained too easily'