Three point awl punches (was fine points)

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:38:14 -0500

David ilvedson wrote:

> Wouldn't a marking device with three prongs be superior to an
> awl?  They would be in perfect alignment with each other.
> Please comment.  I don't replace bridges but am interested.

Yes, you win the prize.  I have a friend who is a soundboard and bridge god
(little "g") in his own right.  (not mentioning any names but he has the back
log of work lined out the door to prove it).   He has designed a series of
punches for this very purpose, each having three awl points.  His "set"
consists of various spacings.  One light tap and all three pin holes are
marked and perfectly spaced.  I was very impressed when I saw this in action.
Of course impressing me isn't all that difficult!  -{;-)

Rob Goodale, RPT