sagging center string

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:59:04 +0200

Newton Hunt wrote:

> > I wonder if there is any real hard evidence as to which position consitantly gives the best results.
>
> Try tuning a Steinway upright at the 10:00 and then at the 2:00
> position.  My point will have been made.
>
>                 Newton

Grin.. Actually I am one of those guys who tunes at just over high noon. I have tuned many a Steinway
upright and have no problems with the 2:00 postition. Perhaps I have just gotten used to how the pins
react to that particular angle and can compensate. I use this position as I find it easier to avoid pin
"jumping". I like the pin to always feel like its turning (screwing)  really "smoothly" in the wood. If I
need to tune downwards tho, I go to the 10 oclock position. I have never really thought about why I do
this last, but its very automatic. If comments from my associates and customers shall be the judge, then
tuning stability has always been one of my strong points.

Richard Brekne
ICPTG