Speed

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:08:37 EDT

I'm sure you have and will get many interesting responses to this.  There is
a Lutheran Church & school that has me tune all of its 10 pianos every year
on the same day in October when the teachers are all at a seminar and the
children are home.  I have had this account for over 20 years.  At first, I
tuned 5 one day then the rest the next but for many years now, I tune them
all in one day.

I also have maintained them in other ways with cleaning, minor repairs,
voicing and regulation as needed.  I would usually select one to do some
extended work on and the rest got tuning and perhaps a few other things.
They are all quite stable now so I usuall finish all 10 in less than 8 hours.

This however is an exception.  While my usual time for tuning is 45 minutes
to an hour, I can spend much longer on a concert tuning and have in the past,
spent all day or as I did in Providence, took several days to "work up" a
tuning.

One thing that I can say for sure is that I have never really finished tuning
a piano, I have only quit working when time has run out.  The state of
absolute perfection in a tuning is a near impossibility.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin