Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

GPRogers1@AOL.COM GPRogers1@AOL.COM
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:50:01 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/99 3:21:54 AM Central Daylight Time, richardb@c2i.net
writes:

<< If the law is passed in Norway, no one will be able to advertise, accept
 payment for work,  use the titles, or in anyway perform any tasks of a piano
 tech in any commercial sense unless they have authorised  certification from
 the acrediting authorities in Norway.

 Richard Brekne
 ICPTG >>

This has been considered in the US but has been found to be unworkable and is
generally not desired by the members of our profession.  What we do is
considered more on the level of an art or craft rather than an essential
service such as performed by an electrician, plumber or auto mechanic.  A
mistake made in piano work generally wouldn't be a matter of concern for
public safety.  The market itself limits those whose practices are
substandard.

A government can pass any law it chooses but whether it can enforce it is
another matter.  Would your government require that all pianos be tuned in ET
for example?  And what amount of stretch in the octaves would it prescribe?
What amount of tolerance would it give for pitch?  If it chose ET as the
standard, how much tolerance would it allow for deviation or error?  What
would it do to or with someone like me who chooses not to tune in ET vs.
someone who tunes something other than ET only by mistake and is not aware of
it?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

P. S.  Have I "backed off" enough?