Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:23:31 -0400

Hi Richard,
     Such a licensing law is depressing.  I don't worry about the "tooners" who
have come and gone over the years.   People appreciate good work even more when
they've experienced bad work.  I wouldn't want my customers feeling as if they are
being used by a group of licensed monopolistic practitioners demanding high prices
which I would need to be a member of.  If someone complains about my fee, I'm glad
they can call -----.    Often next time they seek an RPT without complaint and
thankfully pay the higher fee.   In some things regulation is essential, but how
many people have died because of bad work from a piano tuner?  I've seen my share
of twine bridle tapes, drinking straw shanks, and improper sized strings, but I
have yet to see an actual ruined piano.

-Mike Jorgensen RPT,
@ home in the United States of America --Thank the Lord,
LET FREEDOM REIGN!