Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:34:37 +0200

Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>      Such a licensing law is depressing.  I don't worry about the "tooners" who
> have come and gone over the years.   People appreciate good work even more when
> they've experienced bad work.  I wouldn't want my customers feeling as if they are
> being used by a group of licensed monopolistic practitioners demanding high prices
> which I would need to be a member of.  If someone complains about my fee, I'm glad
> they can call -----.    Often next time they seek an RPT without complaint and
> thankfully pay the higher fee.   In some things regulation is essential, but how
> many people have died because of bad work from a piano tuner?  I've seen my share
> of twine bridle tapes, drinking straw shanks, and improper sized strings, but I
> have yet to see an actual ruined piano.
>
> -Mike Jorgensen RPT,
> @ home in the United States of America --Thank the Lord,
> LET FREEDOM REIGN!

Like I said in my reply to Bill Bremmer. I am sceptical as well, But being an American
who has lived in Europe for nigh on 20 years now, I guess I have become more accustom
to such things. And I have learned that the American notion of freedom is only one way
of looking at it, and as in all things, there are pros, and there are cons

Richard Brekne
ICPTG