Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:42:38 +0200

Newton Hunt wrote:

> Plumber, electricians, commercial drivers and such are licensed
> because what they do effects public health which is right and proper.
> Piano work does not effect public health in an appreciable manner so
> licensing such returns us the old days of Guilds controlling
> everything about a workers life.  Such ideas have repeatedly be
> roundly defeated here in the US.

I aggree that piano work has no health issue related to it.

> The government that governs least is the best government.  Get bogged
> down with regulations and you have a situation where the cost of doing
> the paperwork costs more than the profits from an activity.

I used to aggree, and things can go to far the other way as well, but I
have changed through the years. So, for that matter is the US in general.
I Washington state now they have defined any teenager who is caught
smoking a cigarette as a criminal. The fine is about 100 dollars.
Unthinkable a few years ago. But then we are back to health issues. Still,
even in the US, things are changing. I aint saying its good.. its just
going on.

> THink real hard about giving up your freedom of choice to a government
> agency.

I live in what most Americans would call a heavily overregulated society.
I would have never had such opportunity, gratification, or for that matter
freedom in the US. But then Norway is a special case.

> The public WILL know about incompetents quickly enough.

I tend to aggree with this point, personally.