Survey about PTG Journal on CD ROM

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:33:36 -0400

At 05:43 PM 6/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Relax Glenn, enjoy the vacation.   I did not mean to put you in "the same
>category" as you have assumed from the way I typed my post using ///
>between examples of who would be getting the info. I should have clarified
>by saying that if the information is more easily passed around in this
>format, we may have some associate members who are only interested in the
>Journal for enough information to pose as being qualified, never intending
>to prove minimal competency through an RPT certification and we may have
>fewer members, fewer qualified techs in the field, and may be doing harm to
>the customer, etc.

This would apply more to the availability of ETD's. These are the items which
allow the truly undeserving a shot and tinkering.

>Just because you are an associate does not mean that
>you or all associates have this mentality. I have seen that mentality among
>"some" associates, but if this doesn't apply to you, relax.  There are some
>associates that have no intention/desire to upgrade and many who do not see
>value in becoming an RPT.  SOMEONE COULD JOIN 6/16/99, BUY 20 YEARS WORTH
>OF THE JOURNAL ON CD AND QUIT 6/17/99. I'm just asking if they've thought
>about all of the ramifications.
>I also never said we should withhold information from associates, just
>non-members.
>
>Someone could read one article on repair one day and buy a yellow page ad
>the next.  If it were harder to get and transfer and only available to
>members on hard copy, it would lessen the chances of these things

Don't forget the black-market underground. One ne'er-do-well buys the CD and
makes copies for all his shade-tree mechanic buddies.  Then someone posts
a section on their web page!

I see no benefit to keeping all that knowledge locked up in a few old decaying
magazines.  The 21st Century is upon us, time to set aside the buggy whip.

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net