Sauter vertical

david c. brown dcbrown@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 06:58:12 -0500

List;

A local colleague presented an interesting problem at our meeting this
week. He is working on an older Sauter vertical ( I do not know age or
model at this time. Perhaps 15 - 25 years old ) and the task is to bush the
keys. The problem is that the original key bushings were made of cork (yes
cork ) disks inserted in round mortices at both the front and balance
rails. Imagine a hole about the size if a dime in the key button. The cork
has now deteriorated and is in fact gone from most of the keys.
Has anyone seen such an arrrangement and / or replaced said bushings? Some
suggestions at the meeting were leather or dense felt to replace them. Many
thanks.

David

David C. Brown RPT
Staff Piano Technician