S&S green goop

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:37:42 EDT

Ken writes:

>>  I know it would only
>>help to replace it, but exactly how does one do this quickly and
>>efficiently? It's not in this piano's budget to disassemble to clean,
>or is there an easier way?

Greetings,
     That old budget thing?  yes,  as much as I hate it, sometimes real life
requires a departure from ideal.  So,  here is what I would do.
    Working from the back,with all hammershanks up,  go through and lift all
springs out of their slots and above the rep. post.  Lay a 3/8" wooden dowel
under the ends of the springs, so that they are supported.  this takes about
three minutes.  Get a small cotton wheel on a Dremel tool, and with a little
Polita, Tripoli, or whatever, go down the line with the wheel, polishing the
tops and sides of the spring ends.  The rod keeps them from moving around,
but pay attention to the direction of the wheel, lest you snag a repair in
the middle of your regulation.
    This takes about five minutes, and leaves them ready to go.
     Some very old graphite grease has proven to work longer than anything
else I have tried, so I put a small glop of that on the end of each spring,
while the dowel is still under them.  Roll the dowel out from under and
carefully return the spring to its slot, without scraping the grease off on
the way.
       Cleaning is important for some longevity with this, so use a tool that
fits and scrape out the residue while also burnishing the slot. The sixties
Steinways often had softer wood here, and there will be a dent in the slot
that makes regulation a step closer to madness.
You can't properly regulate an action with erratic springs.
Regards,
Ed Foote