Should I go or should I stay?

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 20:53:42 +0200

Wanted: some worldwide advice on the following decision I have to soon
make.

I have been offered a job far away, outside of the city of Joburg, which is
as a full time tuner for a large company that reconditions pianos, work
would involve tuning in their workshop and tuning their customers pianos in
other cities as well as Joburg, making decisions on pianos to buy and
quotations on work involoved to recondition such pianos.

I am 40(single), I currently have my own business in Joburg as a tuner/tech
where I have a small personal tuning clientel but do a lot of contract work
for a Joburg piano shop doing their repairs/tunings.

If I go I would still be able to come back to Joburg (maybe) once a month
and do needed private calls. Do you think I should avoid becoming an
employee but rather remain as an independant tuner, but now doing contact
work for them?

The actual salary offer I wont know until I meet the company owner next
week. I believe
in USA $36,000 is an acceptable salary for a store tuner, which is like
saying 10 tunings
a week at $75, so I would work out the Rand equilent if this is so, and
work it into my decision.

Maybe I've answered myself, I'm not really asking for a vote "go" or "stay"
but opions, pros and cons etc.

Brian Lawson
Lawsonic Pianoforte Services
PO Box 751097, Garden View