Laws in Norway

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:28:58 +0200

DebNorthey@AOL.COM wrote:

> Richard, that's really fascinating. Where do these ideas come from? Were
> these laws proposed by pinao tuner's already in business? Will all
> technicians have to go to school? What about those that have been in business
> for years?
>
> Deb Northey

Hi Deb. The proposal originates from the piano tuners association in Norway. The
idea for this kind of thing is more a matter of undercurrents in european
society. This kind of thing is very acceptable here. Norway in particular has
lots of historical precedents for this kind of thing. And here, unlike in the
states, people dont think in terms of Big Brother. We trust our elected officials
and governent in general more then I think many Americans do. This also has is
roots in history. America was in no small part born by a betrayal of the people
by the ruling power. So I hear comments like in the post about the "tuning card",
and smile a bit and understand where this very real fear of governement comes
from. That is a real and present threat in the US, and not in little Norway.

As for your other questions. Yes, all prospective piano tuners will have to go to
some school, or at least be able to pass the school exams (for those recieveing
their education from other countries). Those who are already in buisness will not
be affected. Thats a sore point for some, and understandably so, but it would
have been a sore point for others had they decided the other way around. As the
purspose of the planned law is forward looking (future improvements) It was
deemed best to formulate the proposal in that spirit.

I might add, that those of you in the states who are aghast at the thought of
this (most of you anyways) will at the same time fully understand the need to
licence Doctors, Dentists, and other such proffesionals. The only argument for
not including such trades as piano tuners represent is the matter of safety.
Craftsmen represent no public safety risk in doing shoddy work. A valid enough
point in itself. But all other things being equal, our situation are otherwise
the same. The purpose of such laws is to insure that individuals who operate
commercially in any given trade are actually qualified ( in some minimum degree)
to preform that work.

There is plenty of theoretical and practical knowledge to form a basis for such a
minimum requirement and education with regards to piano work, so in theory I have
no problem with the idea in itself. There are worthwhile concerns which argue
against such a law in this country, but fear of Big Brother is fortunatly not one
of them.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.     N.P.T.F.