Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:46:34 +0200

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 6/17/99 1:21:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time, richardb@c2i.net
> writes:
>
> <<
>  Thought I would share with you the following information.
>
>  In Norway, there is a proposal before the government to restrict by law the
>  useage of the titles "Piano Tuner" "Piano Technician", and to forbid anyone
>  from selling work on pianos unless they are certified..........
>
>  Richard Brekne
>  ICPTG
>

>  We had a situation where a local technician was asked to set up a curriculum
> based on a journeymans level approved by the state. He asked our opinion and
> we felt it was too much regulation and the last thing we wanted is for the
> government to interfere with our business.  I can see why some countries want
> to regulate the technician to keep the quality of service on pianos in check.
> Here we have schlock technicians and they can hurt the industry with cheap
> and low quality service.  But I would much rather deal with schlocks rather
> that have government interference.
>
> Many of my clients ask if the PTG is a union or licence to practice piano
> technology.
> We know it is not. The PTG encourages excellence.  We test to see how we
> stand out to the best technicians in the world.  We have local, regional, and
> national conferences to learn more about piano technology.
>
> If the client wants cheap work, he or she will get it.  It is a free world.
> If he or she wants quality work, he or she is willing to pay more for it.  It
> is good to demand technicians to perform quality work.  But the government
> should not mandate it.
>
> My humble opinian of course.
>
> Dave Peake, RPT
> Portland Chapter
> Oregon City, OR

Dave.. I think that for the US you describe the situation as it should be. The
present system in place in the US works well there and is in keeping with the
American way of doing things. It is the best for now in America, and definatly has
its positives in a more universal sense. My post was just a bit of information
about how some other places in the world look at these matters for you all to toss
around

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.      N.P.T.F