Should I go or should I stay?

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:09:50 EDT

As a previous post has stated, technicians in the US make far less than
$50,000 per year.  Brian makes about $20 US per tuning in South Africa and
about the same per hour.  He earns a good living there.  For instance, I
earned the same salary as the prime minister of Namibia did last year.  He
lives in a gaurded mansion on the coast of Namibia.  The housing I stayed in
there was a house that cost $70,000 our money,  I would have paid $250,000 or
more for that same home here in the US (North West).  I just don't want Brian
to hear salary quotes from the materialistic west that are unrealistic to his
situation.  Brian is single and mobile.  Most of the US stores would not pay
their piano techs more than $35,000 per year starting wages.  We all know
that we would still pick up extra business on the side.  They don't live as
we live, or spend as we spend.  A much simpler life and Brian is a winner no
matter where he goes in Africa or around the world.  Make the best of it
Brian!

Ed Tomlinson
Not trying to be uptight. =)
<<   What I meant was the equivalent of what $50,000 per year would be here.
 Whether that be 8,000, 12,000 24,000 in their currency. I've never been
 there but Brian estimated $36,000 in our wages so I was commenting on that.
 I have heard Johannesburg is a big city so I find it hard to believe that
 housing would be 1/3 of what it is here. Do you think housing is the same
 all over the US? I believe piano technicians are WAY underpaid. $25,000 to
 $30,000 per year in Southern California is low income.
 Doug Hershberger >>