Tuner laws in Norway

Paul Plumb plumb@execulink.com
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 16:59:59 -0400

Dear List,

I hate government - there is little good that comes from it.

One aspect to testing and licensing by government is that it closes off
opportunity.  I am a "retired" or just "tired" general insurance broker.
For fifteen years I looked after people's home, auto, and business
insurance - and hated almost every moment of it.  The companies were always
looking for the grey areas and how little they could pay on a claim, and
the clients always felt that they were being ripped off.  - Maybe they
were!

When the stress of the job got so bad that I was advised by my doctor to
get out or else, I tried to decide what a guy with an American BA in music
could do in Ontario, Canada.  When I had graduated, Ontario wouldn't accept
my teachers certificate (they will now) and I was up to the hilt in debt
and ended up in the insurance business.

After some thought, I decided possibly I could tune a piano.  I ordered
Randy Potter's course and realized there's a lot more to this than tuning.
If there had been some government regulation requiring that I meet some
government testing I could not have been able to make the switch, because
in Ontario at the time you couldn't be an insurance agent part time and do
something on the side.  It was all or nothing.  And being licensed and
tested in the insurance business is absolutely no guarantee of proper
ethics or caring for the insured's concerns.

I say down with all such restrictive laws.  You succeed in this business if
you give people good service and piano care.  Government workers are a good
example of how many times slothfulness is well paid by simply passing
requirements.  I guess that  explains why I am still an Associate member.
I have been a victim of government regulation in the past and do not want
that to happen to the piano business.  Meeting standards or being licensed
does not guarantee good or honest work - only good old integrity does that
- and that is earned one person at a time.

I joined the guild to obtain education and help.  I have received both in
abundance.  But I have no desire to be an RPT just to put it on my business
card and look more important and give the government some reason to
"regulate" the piano business to "protect" the public.  Nor do I want to
deny some other frustrated guy in whatever field of the great opportunity
there is to enjoy life by doing something he enjoys.  Minimum standards do
not always guarantee standards - neither does licensing in my humble
opinion.

Boy - this ought to offend someone out there.  Sorry - just one man's
political opinion from somewhat bitter experience.

Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,
Plumb Pianos