Damper Voiceing

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:14:10 +0200

Brian Trout wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I looked back in my old posts and I couldn't find the post you're referring
> to.
>
> What is it you're trying to do?

Hmm.. Thanks Brian, Jim and Jon for replies. I have run into a customer who
wants to be able to do very particular things with the "sound" of damping. He is
a extremely talanted young pianist at the conservatory. About 10 years ago I ran
into this thing with another such talent, a young woman that time. Both are
classical pianists way above the norm.

What is requested from these pianists, is to be able to exploit different
effects dampers make soundwise as the damper pedal is used in different ways.
They want to be able to create a kind of "stachato", as well as a kind of very
slow .. tempted to use the term "lagato" damping, and a host of varients
inbetween. Of course the system needs to be very even and well regulated. That
much is easy enough.

This goes beyond eliminating "wank" noises from damper felt that is too hard. In
most cases this fellow seems to complain about dampers not being capable of
damping strongly (quickly) enough. If he can get that out of the damper system,
then he can get the rest as well, at least to some degree.

His favorite piano at the conservatory in this regard is a Schimmel grand, which
displays very firm, quick and quiet damping, and is easy to control to get a
kind of "muffing" effect if he wants it. He seems to think this should be
possible on any piano, upright or grand.

Upon thinking about his request, it seems logical enough and its one of those
"jobs" I would like to develop better skills at.

Richard Brekne

I.C.P.T.G.   N.P.T.F