Damper Voiceing

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:51:15 -0400

Hi Richard,

Wow, that's a tough one!  Sounds a little like an artist I heard of a few
years back that wanted the left pedal to be a 'variable voicing control'.
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Beyond the normal regulating techniques, I don't know what to say.  I would
probably be looking at things like whether the dampers come down 'squarely'
onto the strings, whether they twist from side to side when they lift,
whether they raise front to back or back to front, whether they lift evenly
throughout the piano... you probably already have a good handle on this
stuff, as well as the condition of the damper felt.   I've never
experimented with weighting the damper levers or putting 'helper springs' on
them.  Perhaps a good long look at the Schimmel might lead to a few clues.
(Some pianos are quite 'live' because of speaking duplexes and such, but
that's another ball of wax...)  Also, different piano makers probably have
slightly different locations where the dampers come into contact with the
string which could make some significant differences in the harmonics you
hear 'bleeding' through.  Just a thought.

It's interesting.  Some people probably think I'm nuts, but I'd actually
like to take some damper classes.  Perhaps at the 2000 convention.

Good luck with this one.  I'll be watching the responses as well.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.