S&S green goop

ChrisRis@AOL.COM ChrisRis@AOL.COM
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:53:17 EDT

Dear Dale,
Fantastic!  But again a question.  If the copper (from the brass)  were
really part of the equation, wouldn't you see more 'vertigris' on the end of
the pin that was nipped, and almost none on the end that has the plating
covering the end?  Or is the plating permeable???
Christopher

<<
Tallow is animal fat.  Fat has a low PH.  Hence the term fatty acid.  The
tallow doesn't turn green but rather the process of oxidizing the copper
in the center pin liberates copper from the brass in the form of green
colored oxides which in turn mix with the tallow making the green goo.
Actually, I have no proof that this is the process but it makes sense to
me.   Sometime when you have a really bad shank,  pull out the cloth from
the wood and look at it with a lense.  Every time I hear someone say that
these parts can be cleaned out and repinned I just think about how badly
eaten up the cloth is from the same process that caused the corrosion.

Dale Fox