Earnings: Self employed, or employed... Barrie

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 15:20:12 +0100

In article <005201beba98$1e948dc0$7ab4aad0@brian>, Brian Trout
<btrout@desupernet.net> writes
>Hi Barrie,
>
>I'm sorry I don't have more complete information.
>
>I have to confess, I have no idea of what the national average earnings
>figures are.
>
>I work for a piano store, and even amoung the people who work there, the
>figures vary widely.   For full time employees, the lowest is probably just
>over $11,000, and the highest is around $30,000 (although I happen to know
>that that person worked a lot of overtime to earn that much.)

I find these sats interesting,  but the last survey we did in the UK did
not mach what the Government sponsored stas thinks we get, across the
board.

I found looking at them this morning that wiles there was a large a gap
of income between the high earners and low earners £15,000. There was
not such a large percentage of low earners as in the US. (that will
reflect the deferent ways we train tuners less part timers in the UK at
the time of the survey 8 years ago)

Although the survey was meant to be anonymous some members included a
letter, so I was able to identify some none requested observations one
being that the best tuners in a given town where not always the hi
earners. Of course the ones who diversified, where the most successful
and some tuners only tune and pass repair work on, that reflected in
their income as well.   However, one thing that was constant was all the
top earners used a computer, to run their tuning round. This proved that
good office practice counted in organising your work.

One other interesting ditty is that 40% of those who filed in the form
came into the profession not knowing how to play the piano.

All in the survey where self employed.

Barrie,

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK Piano Page                              |