new piano pin replacement

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:33:07 -0600

I have a situation and I need some advice.  The small shop I do work for =
sells Shuberts.  Well, partially from my pleading, he decided not to =
order any more.  It seems he is stuck with the ones he has.  One in =
particular, and I talked about this one here a long time ago, will not =
hold tune.  I recommended he return it to the factory or distributor.  =
Of course he got a difficult time and it is still here.  The distributor =
(or factory rep, whatever) told him to get an estimate from "me" for =
repinning it.  I really don't want to get involved.  The pin torque =
varies wildly (I don't have a gauge - just feel) and the angle of the =
pins changes dramatically.  IF the pinblock is not split anywhere I feel =
it needs reaming before repinning or else I feel the problem will just =
exist again, only a little tighter.  I've never done this before.  I've =
restrung two grands and neither involved reaming.  I don't know how well =
I can do replacing strings with "old" coils on them.  I've never done a =
vertical. =20

I told him, after the second tuning, that I never wanted to see that =
piano again.  Now he wants me to repin a brand new piano.  I was taken =
back when he and the distributor wanted me to dope it.  Now I think if I =
do anything I would just rather hit the loose pins with CA and the heck =
with it.  I feel like an angry bee is chasing me! =20

Any advice here?  Feel free to throw out estimates numbers (in private =
emails if that upsets the board).

Thanks,=20

Glenn.