new piano pin replacement ... Roger

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:52:18 -0400

>Another thought on the piano not holding is this.  The pins may be
>inconsistent, but if the change in pitch is severe (75-100 cents in one
>area) you might want to check for a broken plate.  It doesn't happen very
[SNIP]

Other forms of structural instability may be at fault too.
A week ago a technician/small dealer friend & I were chatting at his shop.
He had a 1950s spinet (I forget the brand; something similar to a Lester or
Jannsen) he had taken in trade and then resold, only to discover that
despite reasonably tight pins and a solid plate it would just not stay in
tune.
He took it back, added posts to the back frame, and the piano is now very
stable (and back on the showroom floor looking for a customer with a $1400
budget).

Patrick